Friday 2 August 2013

Resub// Spaceship and Character design.



For the CG on CG and Live action on CG portions of the module I have decided to take a very much simplistic approach as I can't operate maya to an acceptable standard any more, after much time way from it. However simplistic doesn't mean bad and I'm obtaining influence from an internet game called Boxhead. The design of their characters is very simple but works really well in a low resolution game environment



Above is a video of boxhead zombies. Doesn't look similar to mine really but it was the simplicity of the design which I took inspiration from. The animation was also very simple which again I took inspiration from as I'm not the best at it.








These screen shots are showing the development from the drawings I have shown previously of blockman. Like I said I have taken a more of a minimalist approach this time as time is against me. So I decided to go with the Blockman idea. I just simply create a cube on maya. Then I used to insert edge loop tool to create two squares on the front face, from which I could extrude eyes and eyebrows from. As the blockman design is very simple I decided to extend this principal to the spaceship and simply extrude two of the sides, narrow them a bit at the ends, and then create a tail out of a bit more extruding of the shapes left on the back face by the insert edge loop tool. The eyes were simple enough, two spheres, which were then inserted into the block eyes.











The next stage was to colour the blocks with something a bit more interesting than the stock grey. I decided to use toon shaders again as my skills with texturing are about as good as my maya skills. I used the colour from the examples I had drawn to get the scheme accurate then I used the toon shader to mirror the ones from my own swatch,

The colours definetly bring the block to life especially when you select the front face of the eye and change it white, I also changed the pupil black so you could see it against the white.





 I think I prefer the red most for the spaceship and I dont know if the colour of the ship necessarily dictates the colours of the little cubes.

I prefer the difference in colour on the blue and It might show up better against the live action background

 All the greens are too similar, resulting in little definition. So I wont use this colour scheme for the ship.


The white of the eyes shows up really well on the green so i'm going to make one of the cubes green.


As they show up so well here as well Im going to have one of the cubes blue and the final one red all in a red space ship.











No comments:

Post a Comment