Monday 5 August 2013

ResubPPP// The Film Till Now

 The Film Till Now is a book I have recently started reading which gives a vast and intricate look at film from its start to now. My first impressions are that Richard Griffith and Paul Rotha know exactly what they are talking about and from what I've read share a lot of the same opinions as I do, about how the industry is developing and the dangers and threats to good quality motion pictures. I did a bit of research on the book as well and this book is essentially the filmmakers bible to quote the author of the blurb, so this encourages me that i'm looking at a credible source.

I plan on studying this book heavily throughout the rest of the summer and next year as I think it could hold a lot of interesting secrets that maybe others (threats) may not know about either. I also think I need to start reading more again as books hold such a fountain of knowledge that won't be hampered by a poor internet connection or running out of battery, like most things these days do. There are also many chapters in this book which I'm looking forward to reading, such as, The American Film. As we all know Hollywood has dominated the film industry since, almost, it began, and because of this i am fascinated by the world of Hollywood and the immense value and quality of their pictures. But as I have already read there are many people in the industry who's only concern is too churn out pictures that only appeal to the widest audience to get the maximum amount of revenue. I totally agree with Griffiths here that, that is a terrible way to make a movie as it pushes out the artists and visionaries who want to make a film because they want to say something or make a work of art because they love films.

I'm also interested in the British film section as despite Hollywoods dominance I still think Britain can contest America for greatest film producing country. A modern example of how these two countries rival each other is in films like 'This is The End' and 'The Worlds End' both seem to be similar movies but with a british or american take. I haven't seen either but I've seen others which have precluded these and despite the general hilarity of the american ones I think the cleverer and more relatable british films are better, such as 'Hot Fuzz' and 'Shaun of the Dead', as opposed too american films like 'Pineapple Express' and 'Knocked Up' which are both hilarious films are both are well made, but don't have the same level of comedy that the other two do. It may be because i'm british but in 'Shaun of the Dead' for example, there are many 'easter eggs' and things you may miss the first time round watching. For instance in 'Shaun of the Dead' Ed points out a man in the pub called 'Snakehips' and that 'he's constantly surrounded by women''. Later on in the movie when they're all making their way back to the pub to hunker down. Lizz asks shaun if they're close, to which the camera pans to the body of 'Snakehips' who is being eaten by only female zombies. It doesn't seem like much but I think its these little details which makes these films better.

I plan on reading this book much more fully in the coming year as it seems that it could be very helpful.



No comments:

Post a Comment