Sunday 14 July 2013

ResubPPP// Imaginarium Studios

I was recently sent a production list for some films coming up in 2013, and I stumbled across one from Imaginarium Studios involving George Orwell's Animal Farm. I'm a big fan of the book and I subsequently emailed the studio asking if they had any places for me to be a part of this awesome looking project.  I then decided it would be a good idea to research what they did. The company is mainly centred around creating believable characters using performance capture technology, like Andy Serkis with Gollum, who incidentally, is who is directing and producing Animal Farm.

I'm not usually the biggest fan of CGI but Serkis is such a pioneer in this field with Gollum and King Kong that I decided that if anyone was going to use CGI well it was Andy Serkis and Imaginarium. I visited their website and found that is was very professionally, yet simply, laid out with some interesting graphics and animations. They also mention internships and placements on a section of their website and I'm going to send them a CV and covering letter to see if I can get involved on Animal Farm. I also rang the Imaginarium shortly after as I thought it would be a good way to get me into their minds and charm them a bit over the phone. I spoke to a nice receptionist who told me what I already knew and I told her that I had already sent an excited email to them regarding this project.



It turns out though that production of this isnt due to start till early 2014 which is definitely a bonus for me as it gives me time to send my CV and covering letter and could well be something that I could do after uni is finished. Imaginarium studios are definitely a company I am going to explore more about next year but for now Im going to send in CV's and hope for the best.

I really like the idea of using performance capture technology with a book like Animal Farm as the expressions and emotions which are brought out by the suppression and totalitarian control of the pigs. I also think that this technology will really make the emotions on the animals faces much more convincing and will make the evil characters seem a lot more sinister than without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment