Tuesday 21 May 2013

///Editing


When I came to start editing the footage I first started by going through it all meticulously to weed out the rubbish clips before I took them into final cut. I noticed that a lot of the macro clips had bad shuddering at the beginning and ends, in places. This was because of lens being so sensitive when you are looking at something that small in that much detail.




The clips from the side tank shoots needed to be colour graded as the clips looked really washed out and desaturated. I started messing with the (very basic) colour correction tool on Final Cut X. Changing the exposure had the best effect as it made the models more into silhouettes which I thought worked really well on the psychedelic background. I also started layering some of the clips to create more depth in the video.

I should also mention that when I was going through the vast amount of clips, I decided that there was too much  footage here for just one video. The clips I had taken of the surface of the tank I edited together separately. This was definitely the right decision as otherwise all of the footage I had taken would have been wasted. 

For the music I had been toying with a few 'Massive Attack' songs but when it came to edit the singing in parts of the songs didn't agree with the video. So what I decided to do was combine a couple of their songs, to create a soundtrack better suited to the video. 


///Heat Miser. I used about 1:30 of this song to come in after the singing came in for better things

  

///Better Things. I only used the first 50 seconds or so of this but this was because the singing started and it didn't go with the video.







The above image is from the editing of the surface shots. The surface shots probably wouldn't have integrated well with the side shots anyway, so it was best to do two videos. For the song I decided to go with Three Seed by the Silversun Pickups. A really beautiful song with some intricate melodies and a really mellow build up. Despite the fact there is singing in the song I think it works well with the video and I have tried to time the cutting to certain points in the song where the rhythm changes.


///Three Seed








No comments:

Post a Comment