Friday 17 May 2013

///Macro Lens & Final tank Shoot.




My decision to use the macro lens had come before I had even had the idea for the responsive brief. When I was doing the cloud tank the first couple of times I realised how much more you could see if you made all the patterns and shapes the liquids made in the water bigger with this kind of lens.

I had used a macro lens previously to this so I picked up how to use it quite quickly even though there were things to remember. The lens was extremely heavy so it needed a metal support. It was so heavy that the metal support need to be attached directly to the tripod otherwise the weight of the lens would have broken the camera. This meant I had to be very careful whenever I used the lens. The fact it costs about £1,800 was unsettling as well.

The macro lens does the exact opposite of a microscope, essentially. It makes very small things look much bigger (micro/macro) and this was a massive help in the cloud tank. The lens allowed me to observe my experiments at a much smaller, yet bigger, scale.

I got some really good shots of the tank with the lens and there is a noticeable difference in lens type which is exactly what I wanted.

These are some of the stills from the final shoot. I would have put up clips but seeing as they're pretty uninteresting on their own so I thought stills would be more appropriate.


The way the oil looks here looks almost like lilypads



This lilypad effect could be used to show the surface of an alien lake/sea



this almost looks like a plant cell. Which makes me think that the cloud
tanks could be very useful in filming things at a 'cellular'
level.



I love the way the greens and reds mix and flow and react to the oil 



This could easily be used for blood splattering but on a very small scale 



The individual beads of oil caught the light well and as a result have a
really nice and defined shadow on their lower side which really
makes the stand out.



Some sort of pink ocean ? I dunno,



A bigger tank would obviously be better as the oil would have more room to move

The video footage I got was as good if not better than these stills and im looking forward to editing it all together. What I need to do now is find an appropriate soundtrack for the film and i'm going to be doing research into that in my next post.



No comments:

Post a Comment